What are cold sores and canker sores?
Cold sores and canker sores are oral lesions that can cause pain and discomfort. Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are painful, fluid-filled blisters that often appear in clusters and are caused by the herpes simplex virus. Canker sores are shallow ulcers in the mouth that can make eating and talking uncomfortable.
How are cold sores and canker sores treated?
Both cold sores and canker sores go away on their own and the pain generally lessens within a few days. Cold sores and canker sores can be treated with ointments, creams, rinses, and sometimes pills. These types of treatment can reduce healing time by one or two days and can lessen the uncomfortable symptoms. If you notice the signs of a cold sore, such as a tingling, itching, or painful feeling around your mouth and lips, schedule an appointment for a laser treatment as soon as possible. By catching the cold sore early, laser treatment can prevent it from breaking out. If you already have a cold sore, laser treatment will help the sore heal much faster and will reduce the discomfort. While the herpes simplex virus cannot be cured, repeated laser therapy can prevent future cold sore outbreaks. Low level laser therapy can also lessen the pain from a canker sore and promote faster healing.
What are the benefits of using a laser to treat cold sores and canker sores?
- Laser therapy stops the progression of the lesion
- Cold sores and canker sores heal faster without further discomfort
- Pain relief is immediate
- Cold sores can be prevented if treated once the lips begin to tingle or itch
- Laser energy destroys the virus that causes cold sores
- Laser treatment takes just a few minutes and can be performed without anesthesia
- Cold sores and canker sores reoccur with less intensity and frequency at the same location after laser treatment
If you suffer from pain and discomfort caused by cold sores or canker sores, we encourage you to call our office today to learn more about laser therapy and our other treatments!